kinder scout via grindsbrook clough and jacob's ladder



I went back to the Peak District for one more day hike last week. I feel like I was sort of saying goodbye - I should have spent so much more time there, but I didn't get around to, and I'm disappointed with myself for it. But I got this day, at least, and it was a lovely day.


I started in Edale again, but walked in the other direction compared to last time. This time I decided on a 10 mile walk to Kinder Scout, up via Grindsbrook Clough and down via Jacob's Ladder.


The walk along Grindsbrook was lovely.




I got to involuntarily mud test my new boots. They passed the test beautifully (and after walking through the next stream, they looked like new again).


Some scrambling may be necessary, my route description said. Some scrambling may be necessary? You don't say! This photo doesn't quite show how steep that ascent was.


But I made it up there, and from there it was all flat moorland and amazing views.



The path on Kinder Scout passed plenty of these wondrous rock formations.







On my way down, I passed a medieval cross (Edale Cross). Such an English thing to just pass a medieval cross in the middle of nowhere. :)




And from Upper Booth it was all smooth walking back to the train station.



:)

I absolutely recommend this walk. It took me just under six hours (but bear in mind that I'm in bad shape and also like to stop every ten minutes or so to take a photo, so you'd probably do it faster) and was a fabulous way to spend a day outside. It seems like the older I get the more I enjoy walking. Or is it just that the older I get, the more I realise that not everyone else loves walking, which makes it more noteworthy, like an identity thing about myself, that I'm someone who loves walking in nature? It doesn't really matter, of course. What does matter is that I need to get myself out on these day hikes more often than I have been. It feeds my soul.

Chanticleer | Cells Planets

1 comment :

  1. Åh vilken vacker vandring! Där vill jag också gå nån gång i livet, tror jag.

    ReplyDelete