uk roadtrip day 08: chester & liverpool



Well, what's this familiar sight? It's Chester!


I've missed Chester a lot. Liam doesn't understand it, he doesn't miss places at all, just people. But I can get so attached to places. And in the case of Chester ... how could I not? It was the first place I landed after meeting Liam. We first met in Huddersfield, fell in love in London (and over the phone), but this is where we really built our relationship back in 2018. And all the feelings were so strong and overwhelming and colourful - not just meeting Liam but his whole culture and language. I was very happy here. Also, it's beautiful. So while we were in Liverpool, it was obvious we needed to take a daytrip to revisit Chester.


We went for lunch with our friend Neil, an old colleague of Liam's.


It was so nice to meet him. We were so lucky and spoiled with how many people were able to move around their schedules to meet us while we were over!



After Neil had to head back to work, Liam and I walked around the city on the city walls. I love that the walls are still intact, you can walk around the whole inner city on the walls. I did it many times on my own when Liam was at work back in 2018.


Happy anglophile!


We obviously came down from the wall to stop by at the Brewery Tap ...


... but they were out of both the stout and the porter! Uuuurgh. The Brewery Tap has been my favourite since the first time Liam took me there in January 2018, and it was also my best hope of getting a mild or a stout on hand pump in the middle of summer. But no. Sad times.


These little glasses that they give you to try the beer before you choose though!


We walked across the street to the Cross Keys instead. It is also acceptably pub-looking. :)


They didn't have anything dark on whatsoever ...


... so I made do with this amber ale. At least it's on hand pump!


Also, look at this cute place!



At first I wanted to take this photo just because the building is so crooked and cute. But look at that creepy shop called "Dollectable". :)



And after our little afternoon half, we continued walking the city walls.



Chester High Street selfie!



When we'd walked the whole circuit we said goodbye for now to Chester ...


... and drove back to Liverpool. This cathedral is a bit different, compared to Chester's. :)


We walked through the cemetery behind the cathedral, which is a proper old-timey spooky place ...


... with many tombstones to read and ponder.


We were on our way to Berry and Rye, of course, another of my most favourite places, probably my all time favourite bar. There was a live blues duo playing, the bartenders are always wonderful, it's the best vibe. Actually, just writing this out makes me miss it. It makes me miss every little place we visited.


Elder Gin Punch for Liam and Clover Club for me + Old Fashioned for Liam and Berry and Rye's welcome punch for me. This evening was perfect.

No comments :

Post a Comment