london lindy tech



This might be my first blog post about a dance event ever without any photos of actual dancing. :) I went to London Lindy Tech with Kevin and Jo, and it was way too ... much to have space to take any photos! 11 hours of class and 4 hours of practise in one weekend, it was quite intense.

I'm in awe of Kevin and Jo; their material, attitude and teaching style. They are super concise and "strict" while still creating a nice, friendly atmosphere. They are the kind of people who will listen to your questions again and again, and explain it differently every time until you get it, without ever shaming you for wanting to ask the same question twice (which is something I've heard other people do). (I worked a lot on arm tension over the weekend, and asked many questions about it, both in class and to Kevin or Jo in person, and they never seemed to tire of my questions, just explained and showed in different ways every time). It was so good.)

I also did a fair amount of crying over the weekend. I escaped classes at least twice every day to hide outside and cry, just because I'm such a shit dancer and I just don't get it and I have no future as a dancer and what am I even doing here. OH WELL. Liam says that I'm struggling because I'm good enough now to spot some of the things I'm absolutely not getting, which makes me feel like I'm the worst dancer in the world, when in fact seeing areas of improvement is a good thing ... And there's probably some truth in that, but ... Sometimes I wish I was just less emotional about things, but if that hasn't changed in 34 years I guess it's unlikely to change now.

Also, from now on, I think I want to go to events and either do classes or social dancing. These classes were so intense that I'm really glad there were no socials. It felt quite indulgent to be able to go back to our host's place and lounge all evening, and wake up rested the next day!


Speaking of hosts, here's Claire, who was the sweetest loveliest host.


And here's us lounging with pizza and a marathon of our favourite clips from musicals all Saturday evening.

On Sunday evening after class, we went out for dinner and karaoke. :)









A weekend ending with Kevin playing guitar on his own leg can't be bad, can it? :)

No comments :

Post a Comment