uk roadtrip part 3: the peak district



Good morning and goodbye! Time to leave Leeds, for now. We'll be back, of course. Raphael is the babest of babes after all.


Also! In the UK some people still get milk from the milk person, in the middle of the night! Even vegan milk! And then, like Rafi, put the empty bottles out to be collected! How cute? How British?

We drove south towards the Midlands. The Peak District is conveniently located in between. Liam pulls over so I can take photos whenever I ooh and aah, just like he has since the very beginning of this relationship. Here's some of what I saw:





Around lunchtime we stopped here. I'm responsible for googling food places (and hiking and viewpoint places) when we're on roadtrips, and this time, my googling led us to Monsal Head. "Beautiful view from the café", the reviews said.


The reviews were, it turns out, not wrong.



All this beauty from the same little viewpoint next to a café, it's almost not fair! Unbeknownst to me (at the time - I only realised when I came back home and looked at some photos), I'd been here before, but only passing through - only stopping to take photos from the other side of the valley, because Liam and I were out driving, six years ago. Time. <3



The signs were good too.


And the café was very cute. But they didn't have much in the way of vegetarian food, so we had lunch at the hotel next door.



And then my darling parked himself in the shade with a cappuccino and his laptop, living his best vacation life ...


... while I lived my best vacation life and went for a walk.


Bye then!


The walk took me all the way down into the valley ...


... across a river ...


... along the valley floor ...


... under the viaduct, which used to be part of a railway line between Manchester and London, but now is the Monsal trail between Buxton and Bakewell. (Would be so fun to cycle at some point!)


When I got back up the hill, it was ice cream time!



And then we drove to Brownhills and spent the evening having an Indian takeaway and catching up with Liam's parents, which was perfect. Such a delightful roadtrip day!

Kelly Moran | Moves in the Field

No comments :

Post a Comment