uk roadtrip part 6: exmoor national park



A day in Exmoor National Park - and what an absolutely wonderful day we got!


We woke up to beautiful weather at the Bittescombe Inn.




Like I said the other day, I loved everything about this place, including the breakfast. The best vacation feeling: all day ahead of us, tasty treats and no rush.


Our first stop of the day was Dunster, a very cute medieval village. We spent most of the morning walking around looking at cute houses like these:










(Ah go on go on go on! A bit of British culture I'd never encountered if I hadn't met Liam. :))




This photo is called "a Portrait of Liam Poking Things" and is part of a collection of many.


We didn't go up to see Dunster Castle itself (there was an entrance fee and we weren't staying long enough this time for it to be worth it) but it looked very pretty up there on the hill.


After Dunster we drove west along the coast and stopped everywhere that was beautiful, like here ...




... and a few minutes later, here. How can a view be this pretty? How though?


Then we stopped in Lynmouth for lunch and a stroll.








Next stop: Valley of Rocks! Liam dropped me off at the car park, then found a café in the shade to relax. :)



I'd found a lovely route suggestion online, and the views from the hill were incredible.



But then I ended up walking in the wrong direction for a bit, and couldn't figure out how to make sense of the directions and the map (which was very annoying as I'm usually pretty good with maps). I found a different route back to the carpark, and didn't realise untill I was almost back there what was wrong (they had made some mistakes in how they drew the route on the map on the website, so it didn't match up with the written directions). Ah well! At that point I was just pleased to have figured out where it went wrong.


And the views along the Coast Path were pretty good, to say the least.




When Liam had picked me up after my walk, we drove south to Lostwithiel where we'd booked a room at a pub. The roads looked like this almost the whole way, which suited us well - Liam loves driving on country roads like these, and I love the views.


The pub we stayed was, to be quite honest, past its prime - a little bit on the grotty side. You win some, you lose some, when booking bed and breakfasts like these, I guess (and I still maintain that my track record of finding real gems is pretty good, overall).


After dinner we went for a little evening walk through the sleepy village.


Liam found a level crossing and was overjoyed. "They are really rare! And cool!". "They ... are?" I said.


But like the dutiful girlfriend I am I waited for him to finish looking and poking at stuff. That's love, isn't it? :)

Our Wretched Fantasy | Rachika Nayar

No comments :

Post a Comment