uk roadtrip part 9: two days on the road



Next up: Dartmoor! In Dartmoor, they have rocks. Piles and piles of rocks. And ponies!


We drove from Penryn in the late morning, got some lunch salads from Sainsbury's and found a reservoir with a bench to perch on.


The weather was kind of bleak ...


... but the dam was pretty.



This tiny parking by the dam felt like in the middle nowhere, with no specific touristy sights to see ... But there was still an ice cream van! How can there be ice cream vans literally everywhere? But as soon as I thought "but who would by an ice cream here?", another car stopped and a man stepped out to buy an ice cream. Ha!



In the early afternoon we arrived at the National Park Visitor Centre in Postbridge. I didn't know yet where I wanted to walk, so I picked a visitor centre at random (there are three in the park), because those visitor centres are often a good place to start, I've found.

I asked the staff if they had any recommendations for a pretty walk with good views, and they suggested Bellever Tor, which would take about an hour and a half there and back, so that sounded perfect.


But! I was disappointed! I failed in my quest to find a Good Walk! Because the walk itself wasn't pretty. I don't care as much about the goal, I want the journey to be pretty. And this one was ... just this. A path through a danse forest with trees of exactly the same height the whole way there. Booo.


Bellever Tor itself was nice though.


But it had started to rain as I walked up there and it was quite windy; that can make nature feel hostile.





A few rays of sun came out just as I was leaving (obviously).



Ah well! I'll just have to come back to Dartmoor and see more of it!



I liked these views on the way back into Postbridge more than I liked the walk itself. :)


I picked Liam up at the pub where he'd been having a swell time with a whole pot of tea. And on the drive towards Moretonhampstead we saw ponies! Wild ponies!


I want to clarify that I did not walk this close to the ponies; all of these photos where taken from the car and we were driving really slowly. This is just how close to the road the ponies were.


They're so cuuuute


And then of course we got lovely weather! I didn't hate this view.


Dinner time! We stayed at a hotel in Moretonhampstead and loved it. Although this salad was maybe a bit boring, I'm glad I picked it because I'd been eating so much heavy food at that point. Liam however has no qualms whatsoever about ordering his umpteenth portion of fish and chips this trip. :)



Also the cocktails were gooood.


The restaurant was full of people when we had dinner, and I didn't want to throw my camera in people's faces, but I snuck in later to take these photos just because I liked the wallpaper and colours so much. :)


This plaid carpet! The hotel was called the White Hart by the way. Recommend!


After dinner we went out for a short walk to get a look at the village. It's such a cute place.


We asked at the hotel what all these flags are for (they're everywhere in the village) and it turns out we were there during the annual flag festival. Of course they have an annual flag festival! :)


This was such a quiet, soft evening walk with lovely light.




And then we went back to the hotel and said goodnight to Moretonhampstead.

Danae Olano | Danzón para la abuela

No comments :

Post a Comment