uk roadtrip day 12: northumberland



Northumberland National Park! You were wonderful! (If you don't like nature or the word "ridiculous", skip this blog post! It's has many, many photos.)

But I'm getting ahead of myself.


We left Edinburgh in the morning and drove south. The view was pretty much like this the whole way. Ridiculous.


We stopped in Berwick-upon-Tweed to stretch our legs and find a mid-morning snack ...


... scones, obviously.


I was so delighted by the accents of the locals around me that I didn't even mind that there wasn't any clotted cream with the scones. :)


Afterwards I went for a short walk along the city walls.



Found a pretty bridge!








Found another pretty bridge!


And then we continued south.


Liam is amazing at finding these little pockets to stop in as soon as I start making "I want to take photos everything is so beautiful I'm gonna die!" noises.




In the afternoon we stopped in a village for lunch, because The Internet had told us there would be cafés there, but they all seemed to be closed.


Crisps, fruit and cookies from Co-op it is!


Also look at this gorgeous man? Ridiculous.


As you can see, I clearly had to stop here too, and take photos of this view.



I like him!



On our way again. It takes a while to get somewhere with a photographer in the car, as I'm sure you understand. Luckily, we were in no rush.


It was late afternoon when we arrived in Greenhaugh. We did the same thing on the way south from Edinburgh as we did on our way there - stayed at an inn in a national park for a night to rest and recharge (and walk, in my case). This time: Northumberland National Park, and the Holly Bush Inn in Greenhaugh. I'm beginning to think that I have some sort of innate knack for finding quaint, lovely accommodation in new places. Or at least, it's worked out wonderfully so far.


I mean, just look at it.


When we had chatted with the owner for a bit and found our room, I left Liam in the pub with a real cider and went out for a walk.


I had searched for "Northumberland short walks" or something like that, and actually found a walk on the national park website that started and ended at this exact inn. Perfect! It was windy but mild, sunny and beautiful. A perfect afternoon for a walk.




I walked on country roads and across fields ...


... and sometimes through grass up to my chest.




That little cluster of houses is Greenhaugh.


Ridiculous.


And then I walked over a stream and past a farm and over another stream ...


... and then back into Greenhaugh. Such a lovely walk!


When I got back to the pub I was greeted by a table full of local farmers in their 60s who where giggling and cheerfully flirting with me - probably one of the most British things that have ever happened to me. Liam had potentionally had more than one pint of cider ("you have to make the most of it when they have real cider!" :)) and was a little bit tipsy, in the most comfortable, relaxed sort of way. :) We had dinner at the pub and then slept like babies.


Also, look at this beauty!


When I took this photo I didn't know what the Sycamore Gap was, but I ended up going there the next day. More on that later!

No comments :

Post a Comment