uk roadtrip part 3: brownhills



After Leeds, time for Brownhills! We decided to spend four nights there this time, to have some more time to hang out.


On the morning of our first day there, the family were busy with errands and things, so I went up to Chasewater for a walk.


It was a dreary, heavy day, but moving did me good nevertheless.


That afternoon, Anne was finishing up her work on roughly one million cupcakes.


I mean, can you belive this?! So beautiful!


Here she is putting them all into a bouquet.


It's fascinating to watch her work. Last summer we got to try it ourselves, but there wasn't really a good time for that this time. Next time!


The finished bouquet!


Also, the birthday gift I had ordered for Liam had arrived.


It's a poster of the Rocinante. Made him happy. :)


And later that day Anne and I went on a walk with Roxie, their border terrier. And that was all for that day! A very chill day, just what we needed.

The day after that was Liam's granddad Roy's funeral. I didn't know him well, only met him a few times, but it was a lovely ceremony and a beautiful celebration of his life. Roy had expressed for a little while that it was time for him to go, and all I can say is that if, when it's my time, I get to go contentedly at 95 years old after a long, full and rich life like he had, well then ... that seems like a worthy goal for anyone.


I had decided to not take any photos that day, not wanting to stick my camera up in people's faces when it's a funeral and all, but then in the late afternoon when the closest family were back at the house after the wake, Liam was so snuggly with his sister's dog Bracken that I couldn't help myself.


And just then Bella entered the room with this FABULOUS crown that she has MADE and you know I couldn't pass that photo opportunity up.


This is what royals look like, right? ... Right?


Who wore it best? Bracken, of course.


The day after the funeral, we went for a little drive north to Leek (yes Leek! I also want to live in a town called Purjolök), to visit ...


... Liam's old friend Mike.


Mike is the friend Liam has known for the longest, and it was a joy to see them interact with eachother.


We had lunch in the Britishest of British cafés (at least to my tourist eyes). I don't love the monarchy but I kind of love that there was an official Coronation Quiche for the coronation.


Also, anything fewer than five different condiments on the table would be an insult, of course.


After lunch we went for a little walk around Leek. Such a pretty place!


A good booke!




Bye for now, Leek!


On the way home we took a little detour into the Peak District so I could go for a walk. But that's for another post!


And then, that evening we had dinner with Liam's parents and then spent the evening chatting away on the couch. It was a lovely day and a lovely stay in Brownhills.

No comments :

Post a Comment