uk roadtrip part 4: wetton to thor's cave



I went for a walk! Walking's my favourite! We were driving back to Brownhills from Leek and decided to go for a little detour in the Peak District, so I could get myself some nature. I was not disappointed.



Sheeps and baby sheeps!!!


We stopped so I could take a photo of this view ...


... and then I spotted this big hole in the mountain in the distance. Cooool!


Liam dropped me off in the village of Wetton and I went for a stroll. Everything was beautiful, all around me.


"Thor's Cave"? Is that the hole in the mountain that I saw before? Let's walk that way and find out!


I followed the sign onto this country lane.



My eyes like this.


And the weather couldn't have been more perfect.



The road turned into a path which led up this little hill. I had already decided that I wasn't going to climb up to the cave if it turned out to be one million steps to get up there, but suddenly I turned a corner, and ...


... there it was! Huh! I had expected it to be much more difficult to get up there, but it wasn't strenuous at all. And when I thought about it I realised that starting in Wetton was the correct choice, as the village is already quite high up.


I was NOT dressed for this occasion (I was only going for a stroll, after all) but decided that ah, I can deal with some mud and clothes are washable. So I climbed in. And look at this cool view!


It's much bigger than this, this photo doesn't do it justice. I met some other people there who saw me tying my dress up to not step on it while I climbed in, and I explained that I didn't intend to go on a cave adventure, I was just out walking. "Well you're lucky then!" one guy said. "We found this cave on a list of the 100 most beautiful walks in Britain!". Ha ha! I'm often lucky that way - I feel like I find beautiful walks wherever I go with minimal researching.


The view from the cave. That path is the Manifold Way - some day I'll come back and walk the whole length of it.


After the cave I walked down the approximately one million steps that I had expected to find on the way up. :)


From there I followed the Manifold Way north until I got to Wetton Mill where Liam waited with the car.


Since it happens every now and then that I get blog visitors who come searching for info on different walks I take, here is a map on how to get to the cave from Wetton without having to go down into the valley and up again! The path that is marked on Google Maps is the one going down into the valley first and then up all the steps. Lazy walkers like me, don't take that one. :)


Goodbye little cave! You were fun!


And then we drove back to Brownhills. And only stopped a few more times so I could take photos of the view. :)


But I mean, look at it though! Ridiculous!








Last stop for today was to take a photo of this. In the actual middle of nowhere! How cute?


And then we had a lovely drive back to the Midlands and I was full of nature and air and very happy.

Fleetwood Mac | Rhiannon

No comments :

Post a Comment