a weekend in helsinki



Liam and I spent the last weekend of April in Helsinki. First time I've been to Helsinki, or Finland at all - I know, it's bad! But I adored the city, such a lovely place.


So many pastel coloured buildings everywhere! The main reason we went was a blues event called the Grind. I didn't have a great time at the event - nothing to do with the event itself, it was just very hard for me to get back into blues dancing after my long break.


I didn't take any photos at the event, but I took a bunch of photos in the daytime, while we were exploring the city. Here's my boyfriend patiently waiting for me while I stop to do exactly that. :)


The city is absolutely littered with beautiful typography, and you know I can't pass by a sign like this without taking a picture. I have absolutely no idea what this sign says. I hope it's not something rude.


I like it when signs say what it is! This is a tower!


Favourite thing about this photo: How the light from the awnings reflect on the while wall above, to make the wall look peach and pastel green coloured.


And yes we went to the Moomin Shop like proper tourists!


The railway station is absolutely beautiful.



GOOD FONT


In the evening we went to this food hall for dinner with ...


... Anna and Ryan. Always a delight to get some quality time with them. <3


And here's the event venue - yep, on a boat! It wasn't my favourite venue, because of the lighting. Which is funny - I perceived the lighting in the hangout spaces to be terrible (too bright, stark and green tinted) but no one else I talked to was bothered by it. I was like ... "but the light in here is green?" and they were like "what do you mean, green?". So yes, fine, I realise I'm the sensitive one. :)


New day, new walk!


How cute is this place?


We went to this organised walking tour - I love it when dance events do this.



I took pictures. :)


So good to see Gordon again so soon after seeing him in Edinburgh two weeks before!


We looked at plenty of beautiful things, but after a while I got too cold and I hadn't dressed properly for it, so ...


... Isabelle and I snuck off to get dinner instead. :)


Again, getting to spend quality time with people, like Isabelle who I haven't seen since before the pandemic - so good. <3



The restaurant we went to hade Good Colours.



On the topic of "things being named what they are". :)


The day after was our last day and also May 1st, which meant a huge (huge!) traditional picnic in Kaivopuisto. People of all ages were wearing their studentmössor (graudation hats). I wish we had this tradition so I could get my white hat out as well (in most parts of Sweden we only wear them on our graduation day and then never again). (Although my previously white student hat has pink champagne stains on it, as someone decided to spray champagne from the stage over the dancing crowd at our graduation party. Classic!)




We hung out with some great people



and there was dancing


and in the afternoon it was time for Liam and me to head home.





One last walk through town back to our hotel. Again, such great colours. All in all, it was a delightful weekend in Helsinki, and I hope I get to come back and see more of Finland soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment